First Tabernacle Beth El, Wilmington, Delaware was established in May 1901. Oral history says that Elder Robert Lewis was the first pastor and that Bishop J.W. Brent came to assist him. Elder Lewis first preached on the street and later was able to secure a place of worship at 12th and Orange Streets. Prophet William S. Crowdy visited the congregation at this address and preached from St John 5:43 and he sang “A Little Talk with Jesus Makes It Right, All Right”.
A family named Jones regularly attended, but the first member to join was named Maggie Moon. Her brother, Douglas Moon, was the first ordained deacon in the Wilmington Tabernacle.
The second place of worship was in the 800 block of Tatnall Street, still under the pastorate of Elder Lewis.
The saints rejoiced in the Spirit of Prophecy as they moved in 1904 to their new place of worship at 841 Walnut Street. In the minutes of the First Eastern District Assembly held in Newark, NJ, in 1901, Wilmington is listed as Tabernacle No 1 and Elder Hall is listed as the pastor.
A report from Wilmington, printed in the minutes of the 1907 Assembly in Richmond, VA is signed by Elder W.L Epps, Pastor-in-Charge; St. Rachael McQuay, Secretary.
In 1903, Elder C. N. Butler, who later became pastor in Wilmington, is listed as a member of the Presbytery Board during the 1903 Assembly in Philadelphia.
In a later report, in the minutes of the 1911 Assembly in Philadelphia, Elder Epps signed again as pastor, and St Georgia Taylor as Secretary. Minutes of the 1917 Assembly lists Evangelist Charles Napoleon Butler as pastor of Wilmington.